ATP World Tour Finals! Day 2 and 3 🎾

This past week I was lucky enough to not only go to the ATP World Finals once but twice. I went on Day 2 of the competition by myself - mainly to see Andy Murray! - and then I went with RUMS Tennis (my university Tennis club) on the following night. Click on the video below or here to see the fun footage :)

What an amazing of week of tennis so celebrate the last week of matches this season! I don't know if you follow me on twitter but I've been loving watching and keeping up to date on all the matches. I am so happy that Andy Murray has ended the year as world number 1, along with his brother for doubles. I had such a blast watching four of the matches live as well. I love living in London!
On Monday 14th, I first saw Kontinen and Peers against Lopez/Lopez and KP won 6-3, 7-6. I have to admit, my favourite part was the umpire saying Kontinen. I think it's like one of the best surnames!

Definitely some of the most eye-catching outfits of the week.
I was really impressed with the graphics used. It's such a different experience being there in person vs watching it on TV. You don't get the same experiences, you miss out on the interactiveness and comes across as much more closed off to the public when in fact, I felt very much a part of it.
The main reason I bought last minute tickets was to see the current world number one and the Great British legend, Andy Murray. I've been lucky enough to go to a lot of tennis matches since moving to London. 2 Wimbledon days and now 3 ATP evening sessions. I've loved every second but I've always hoped to see Andy and I finally have! :)
It was Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic and thankfully Murray won fairly easily winning 6-3, 6-2. I would have liked to see a bit of a closer match but to be honest, I would have been devastated if he'd lost aha.
I feel so bad, I did take a lot more pictures, but a lot of Marin's pictures were blurry, especially the serves so I don't have any shots of him serving. I loved his yellow and blue shorts though.

I thought it was a really nice touch that they interviewed both the loser and the winner of the match and it was really nice to hear from both sides. I was a little shocked at how many people left the arena before and during their speeches.

BYE!
Day 2 and Tuesday meant I was in for a totally unexpected treat! We headed to Wetherspoon's for some 'pre-drnking' although as I don't drink, I actually just went to watch a little bit of the practice sessions in the fan zone. I think it's really ncie that they have made it available to public viewing.
The doubles match was first with Dodig/Melo winning 7-5, 6-4 against Huey/Mirnyi. I hadn't noticed yesterday but they don't do advantages in the dueces which was such a strange concept to me and at first I thought I was crazy and totally missing the points. I'm assuming it's too speed the matched up..?


Once again, I love how bright their outfits are. It makes it so much more entertaining and easier to see. For some reason the singles players seem to insist on wearing dull, dark colours and most choose to wear blue on a blue court...great. I do like that they can wear what they want though and can express themselves. It's totally different from the prestige and tradition of Wimbledon where they HAVE to wear white. Totally not realistic on grass courts: oh the stains!
I do love going to events by myself. It just means you can do what you want, when you want and don't have to organise yourself around others or with them. But, even I'll admit, it's nice to talk to and chat with people during the breaks. We were defintely in for a treat in the singles matches. Ranji has a slight crush on Novak and I always root for the underdog so it was such a fun battle not only on court but between the pair of us too! 
So it was time for the main match of the night. I hate saying that because I feel like I'm brushing off the doubles men who still play fantastically but I'm just not as invested in that championship. It was time for Novak Djokovic vs Milos Raonic.

I loved how uninterested Novak was in the coin toss. While he was busy stretching the coin ended up spinning on it's side for a good 30 seconds before they had to reflip it. Such a funny moment!



Milos is such a powerful player and an incredible server but it's his shots back across the net that really impressed me in person. Literally looking at these pictures makes me wonder...how!?
Eventually Novak won 7-6, 7-6 but I can't even begin to explain how close it was...SO CLOSE! I was amazed. I wasn't expecting much but it was literally the best match I have ever seen live. Without a doubt these guys are two incredibly talented players and it defintely could have gone either way.  
Understandably, Milos as upset and annoyed with himself and he walked off the court before the interviews started. I felt so bad for him but I was pleased with how respectful Novak was and loved how he complimented Milos so much. 
I had a brilliant and loved every second of the last week! I especially loved this past weekends final two days. I can't even say how nervous I was on Saturday afternoon when I thought for a second, Murray might not make it through. So glad he did!

Can't wait for next year!

Ps. Click here for last year's video or watch below.

Comments